10 Great Outdoor Adventures in NJ
Let's hit the trail for seasonal outdoor adventure in New Jersey! Spy blue skies and brilliant fall foliage as you explore these scenic attractions around the state. Download and print this refreshing infographic of 10 cool outdoor activities that are autumn-ready.
- Bike a rail-to-trail New Jersey offers plenty of biking destinations, whether you're a hard-core mountain biker or prefer a more leisurely boardwalk biking excursion. Learn more about some great rides like the family-friendly Union Transportation Trail in Upper Freehold, four miles of fun biking that features a rehabilitated historic wooden trestle bridge.
- Find a cozy campsite Whether you're looking for peaceful lake views or an array of natural habitats, find your ideal campsite at one of New Jersey's amazing campgrounds, and enjoy "front row" accommodations to hiking, fishing, boating and star gazing. Check out more NJ campground suggestions!
- Hike the Hacklebarney Even on Indian summer days, the Black River Gorge in Hacklebarney State Park (Long Valley) is cool and refreshing, making it an ideal spot to see fall foliage. If you like to hike with your pooch, you'll be happy to know that leashed pets are welcome.
- Gobble up a tee time Fall's cooler temps make it a great season for playing golf. New Jersey boasts world-class golf venues where you can enjoy seasonable weather and autumn foliage. One to try: Wild Turkey located at Crystal Springs Resort in Hamburg, named one of "New Jersey's top 10 golf courses" by Golfweek magazine.
- Lure a trout Are you an avid angler? Here's an educational opportunity you won't want to miss. Tour the Pequest Trout Hatchery in Oxford, and learn more about the 700,000 trout produced annually to stock NJ's waters. The best time to see the hatchery in action is October through May. Once you've finished the tour, you may be tempted to throw a line into the nearby Pequest River.
- Head up a creek with a paddle Explore New Jersey's Pine Barrens with Pinelands Adventures (Shamong), which offers both guided and self-guided paddling trips on the Batsto and Mullica Rivers. On the Batsto guided trip, join a naturalist to learn about the Pine Barrens' habitats, history, and plants and animals. This is environmental science taught in Mother Nature's classroom!
- Ride a wave In fall, the combination of cooler air temperatures, warm ocean waters and the swells that accompany the Atlantic's hurricane season create the prime time for surfing in New Jersey. No wonder the state boasts some of best surfing on the East Coast!
- Get a bird's-eye view Imagine floating over NJ's fields, forests and neighborhoods from the heights of a hot-air balloon. New Jersey boasts a variety of hot air ballooning companies (from the north to the south) that will be happy to arrange this romantic outdoor adventure for you.
- Round up a horse Giddy-up on a guided scenic adventure with Round Valley Trail Rides in Lebanon, which stables Rocky Mountain horses, known for their gentle disposition and even gait.
- Climb Absecon's 228 steps Holding the distinction of the state's tallest lighthouse (at 171 feet), Absecon Lighthouse is one of Atlantic City's most popular attractions. Get a great workout and a fantastic view of AC's skyline with a hike to the top. Are you a lighthouse lover? Then take the annual Lighthouse Challenge, which is held in mid-October (this year, the event is October 15-16). Help preserve NJ's lighthouses while you see how many you can climb!