Princeton Battlefield State Park
500 Mercer Rd.,
Princeton, NJ 08540
National Historic Landmark on 85 acres. On Jan. 3, 1777, the peaceful winter fields and woods of Princeton Battlefield were transformed into the site of what is considered to be the fiercest fight of its size during the American Revolution.
During this desperate battle, American troops under Gen. George Washington surprised and defeated a force of British Regulars.
Coming at the end of 'The Ten Crucial Days,' which saw the well-known night crossing of the Delaware River and two battles in Trenton, the Battle of Princeton gave Washington his first victory against the British Regulars on the field.
The battle extended more than a mile away to the College of New Jersey (now Princeton University). The famous Mercer Oak, once stood in the middle of the battlefield, not far from the spot where Gen. Hugh Mercer fell during the Battle of Princeton.
The Clarke House, built by Thomas Clarke in 1772, witnessed the fierce fighting and served as sanctuary for Gen. Mercer, who died there nine days later.
The house contains period furniture and Revolutionary War exhibits.
Park facilities and activities include trails, birding, open lawns, cross-country skiing and hiking trails lead to the Delaware and Raritan Canal and the Institute For Advanced Study Woods.