Built in 1766 by Job Stockton, a prosperous tanner and cousin of Richard Stockton III, signer of the Declaration of Independence, Bainbridge House is one of the oldest surviving buildings in Princeton and one of the area's best preserved examples of mid-Georgian architecture. In addition to serving as the home to several Stockton families, it was the birthplace of William Bainbridge, a hero in the War of 1812. In 1783, it provided accommodations for the Continental Congress; during the late 19th century it served as a boarding house for university students. For more than fifty years it was home to the Princeton Public Library. From 1967 to 2015 Bainbridge House was the headquarters of the Historical Society of Princeton.
The Historical Society is now located at Updike Farmstead, 354 Quaker Road. For more information, please visit the website.