Baylor Massacre Burial Site
Rivervale Rd. & Red Oak Dr.,
River Vale, NJ 07661
This Bergen County historic park contains the burial site of members of the 3rd Continental Light Dragoons who were slain on the night of Sept. 28, 1778 during the Revolutionary War by British soldiers under the command of Gen. Charles "No Flint" Grey.
After an absence of several months spent raising funds for his regiment, Lt. Col. Baylor rejoined his men on Sept. 22. Maj. Alexander Clough, Gen. Washington's chief of intelligence for the Hudson Valley, was in command during his absence. On Sept. 27 they were dispatched to watch the area and bridge over Hackensack at the intersection of modern Rivervale and Old Tappan Rds.
After the massacre, fearing the return of British troops,the slain men were quickly buried here in tanning vats along the Hackensack River. Their remains, discovered during an archaeological investigation in the 1960s, were reinterred on the site in 1974.
This wooded park has ADA accessible pathways and historic panels that tell the story of the Baylor Massacre.