320 River Rd. (Rt. 521), Montague, NJ 07827
Property DescriptionThe ca. 1790 Nat'l Register house is furnished to reflect the area's heritage. It is the location for the township's historical society - MARCH, whose volunteers open this and the Nelden-Roberts Stonehouse to visitors. Both sites are part of the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area [NPS/DEWA] . Tours conducted by historical society docents. Special exhibitors featured - see Facebook page for schedule. Foster-Armstrong House has new displays, expanded Native American exhibit, items from Brick House & the Rock View, quilt collection, hand-made covered bridge models, military room honoring those from our community, exhibits about the Armstrong & Cole families and lime kilns, farm tools & river ferries. The Stonehouse on Rt. 206 reflects its former use as a one-room school in the 1820's and has an herb garden to view. Group tours can be arranged by appointment. MARCH offers special programs, tours and events. Check both websites. Donations suggested - no admission fee.
Located north on CR 521 past Route 206 and the Milford-Montague Bridge intersection. Access from Port Jervis, NY via Maple Ave to CR 521, or from Interstate 84, take Route 23 to Clove Rd. [CR 653] and turn on Overlook Drive to CR 521.