Old Swedes Trinity Episcopal Church
1208 Kings Hwy.,
Swedesboro, NJ 08085
Georgian church built in 1784 next to two historic cemeteries.
Established in 1703 by the Swedish Lutheran Church an affiliation with the newly formed American Episcopal church began in 1789 as Trinity Episcopal “Old Swedes” Church. The pastor at the time, The Rev. John Croes, later became the first Episcopal Bishop of New Jersey.
The current Colonial church with box pews and Palladian windows was built by the local clergy and parishioners in 1784. The beautiful grounds and peacefully shaded cemeteries date back to the mid-1600s.
The new cemetery, founded in 1829, is the burial site for Gov. Charles C. Stratton, the first freely elected governor in the State of New Jersey and Brigadier Gen. and Medal of Honor Recipient Louis Henry Carpenter, Commander of the Buffalo Soldiers, 10th U.S. Cavalry.
An original log cabin dating from the 1640s, one of the very oldest in the United States, is in the churchyard. Records indicate that it was used extensively as a stop on the Underground Rail Road.