Taylor - Butler House was built in 1853 by later generations of Marlpit's Taylor family. The family had been very successful in the China Trade out of New York and when Joseph and Mary Holmes Taylor married in 1849, they decided to move back to Middletown and build a grand house on the family farm. Here they raised their family, Edward, who became a photographer and Mary Holmes Taylor who would be the last family member to live in the house.
After Mary Holmes Taylor's death in 1930 the house stood empty until architect Henry Ludwig Kramer purchased it for his home and office. He restored the house and added indoor plumbing, replacing the two-story outhouse that had extended over the kitchen wing. The house was later owned in the 1950s by George and Helen Butler. Monmouth County Historical Association purchased the house and 5 acres from Mr. Butler's estate in 1999.
Open by appointment only. The Taylor-Butler House can be rented for meetings and events.