5 Unexpected Winter Activities in New Jersey
This winter, try something new with these unexpected activities throughout the state.
1. Maple Sugaring
With New Jersey’s vast woodlands and numerous nature preserves, the Garden State is the spot to discover one of nature’s best sweets: maple sugar. Bundle up and head to the forests, where you can get a glimpse into this fascinating industry during the height of the maple sap season.
- From February 3 – March 24, 2019 (Sundays), visit the Tenafly Nature Center to learn how to identify a maple tree and about the maple sugaring process. You can even enjoy a sweet taste.
- In Basking Ridge from February 16 – March 10, 2019 (Saturdays and Sundays) at the Environmental Education Center, learn about the history of this centuries-old process at the outdoors “sugar shack.”
- At Stony Brook Millstone Watershed in Pennington, visit on March 2, 2019 for a Maple Sugaring Brunch. Discover the history, folklore and science about the maple sugaring process, and then you can enjoy a pancake brunch served with homemade maple syrup.
3. Train Museums
Train enthusiasts of all ages will love spending some time indoors with their favorite hobby. New Jersey has train museums and lots of train rides!
- At Northlandz in Flemington, watch with delight as more than 100 miniature trains chug along more than 8 miles of track, passing by tiny houses, cities and forests.
- Start planning ahead by booking your trip for the Easter Bunny Express train ride at Black River & Western Railroad, Delaware River Railroad Excursions or the Whippany Railway Museum. The train travels throughout New Jersey, along with the Easter Bunny, which you can have your picture taken.
4. Ice Fishing
February is the perfect time for ice fishing in New Jersey, as the cold winter months mean a solid ice base for heading out on the lakes. Find your perfect fishing spot at these popular ice fishing locations.
- Lake Hopatcong and Lake Musconetcong at Hopatcong State Park in Landing, where you can reel in winter catches such as perch and pickerel.
- Assunpink Lake in Allentown is home to an array of fish, from pickerel to crappie to bass.
- Take your pick from 29 fish species at Spruce Run Reservoir in Clinton.
- Wawayanda Lake in Hewitt is stocked with everything from trout to landlocked salmon.
5. Escape Rooms
Go on an adventure indoors when you enter the immersive experience of escape rooms.
- The Other Tales Escape Rooms in Hawthorne, work with your friends to solve puzzles and mysteries.
- Trap Door Escape Room (Morristown and Red Bank), go on an adventure that combines immersive theater and video game technology for a thrilling experience teeming with spooky creatures such as zombies or witches.
- At Montclair’s Adventure Rooms, use your knowledge and street smarts to gather clues and solve puzzles that will set you free.
Discover even more trip ideas for your New Jersey vacation.