Somerville Fire Department Museum

Loading Map.

Somerville Fire Department Museum

23 N. Dougherty Ave., Somerville, NJ 08876

Property Description

The earliest known fire company of which there is any record, and on which the department's centennial anniversary date is based, was called Washington Fire Company No. 1. Records show it was organized in 1835, though the month is not known, and housed its "goose neck" engine in a frame building which stood on what is now the southeast corner of the Court House yard here. The apparatus was a tub engine, so called because water had to be carried to it in buckets while men on either side pumped long handles up and down to force water under pressure through the hose line.

Open Saturdays 10 am - noon or by appointment.