A Shout-Out to NJ'S Outdoor Shopping
From running socks to runway fashion, vintage glassware to fresh produce, New Jersey is well-stocked for the summer shopping season. Get your dose of sunshine and sales with this infographic lineup of 10 outdoor shopping suggestions. Download and print, and don't forget—footwear and clothing are always 100-percent sales tax–free in New Jersey. A good reason to buy those new sandals!
- Urbane 'Burbs - Whether your shopping list includes a new novel, vintage dress or work of art, you'll have fun browsing Montclair Center, a 2015 Great American Main Street Award winner. Be sure to make time to dine out at one of Montclair's fine BYOB restaurants.
- Golden Oldies - A Lambertville institution for half a century, the Golden Nugget Antique & Flea Market is a veritable "gold mine" of antiques, collectibles, art and more. Take a tip from flea market fanatics and get there early! Dig around on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. year-round.
- Main Street USA - The small town shopping center is alive and well in Manasquan. Among The Shops on Main Street, you'll find home décor at The Garret, surfboards at Inlet Outlet Surf Shop and unique, educational toys at Quinnderella's Toys. Curb your sweet tooth with a stop at the Third Avenue Chocolate Shoppe. Homemade chocolate-covered pretzels? Yes, please!
- Picture-Perfect - Set on the Raritan River in the heart of New Jersey, downtown Clinton is a charming destination for a summer day. In addition to historic and cultural spots like the Red Mill Museum Village and Hunterdon Art Museum, the town features a Main Street lined with locally owned shops like Fourchette (fine cheese) and Amaryllis (women's clothing). Fuel your stroll with a latte from Citispot Tea & Coffee.
- One of the East Coast's Largest - Launched in 1940, the Berlin Farmer's Market offers an outdoor flea market every Saturday and Sunday with more than 700 vendor spaces. Stock up on fruits and veggies, plants, and a whole host of household items, crafts, apparel and jewelry. And if you're a bargain hunter, you'll go for the multi-family yard sales.
- Outlets Alfresco - Savvy shoppers know that New Jersey is an outlet shopping mall mecca. Get outside and catch some rays and bargains at Jersey Shore Premium Outlets in Tinton Falls, Jackson Premium Outlets and Liberty Village Premium Outlets in Flemington.
- Boardwalk Buys - Summer isn't complete without a stroll along the 'boards. If you like to shop as you take in the sights, sounds and flavors of the Jersey Shore, the Wildwoods boardwalk is for you. Find surf gear, sunglasses, sand toys, even Christmas décor and, of course, plenty of fudge!
- Quiet Beach, Bustling Shopping - Escape to a more gracious age in the resort town of Spring Lake. Shop along Third Avenue for gifts, home décor, jewelry and more. Be sure to take a quick detour on Washington Avenue for a fresh blueberry scone at The Scone Pony. (You can walk it off along Spring Lake's quiet seaside boardwalk!)
- Shop Small & Charming - Everything's quaint about Cape May—even the shopping! Washington Street Mall is a three-block outdoor walking mall just blocks from the beach between Perry and Ocean Streets, offering dozens of unique shops and restaurants to tempt your pocketbook and palate.
- Everything From Handbags To Tools - Not sure what you're looking for? Hunting around is half the fun at the Cowtown Farmers Market in Pilesgrove, celebrating its 91st year. Pick up Amish baked goods, toys, pet supplies, fresh produce, electronics, clothing—plus dig into some Jamaican BBQ or pretzel dogs while you shop. Open Tuesdays and Sundays year-round, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.